I created a board game and I really do not have a name for it, but I will give a brief description of the game. The idea of the game is to reach the other side and there are four starting points. Coins are used as game pieces and a dice is used to move across the board.
Game Session 1
We started with a blank board and started with rules 1 -3.
Seven Columns, Nine Row Board
1. This game can be played with two – four players.
2. Initially at start all players roll a dice. Whoever gets the highest roll goes first and gets to choose one of four starting points.
3. American Money Coins will be used as game pieces. Each player has a different kind of coin to differentiate.
During this play session we realized it was too easy to make it across the board without any rules to stop you. We stuck with one rule to slow down the game because we had many ideas of what we could do to slow down the game. We added green boxes to the board and came up with several ideas for what that meant. There were four of us in the group and so we each had our own idea.
1. Green Spots mean return to start
2. Green Spots are walls
3. Green Spots mean switch places with another player
Ultimately we end up going with the second choice because that seemed the most fair. We then added rule 4 to the game.
4. You cannot pass green spaces. They are walls.
Shortly after we realized we had to come up with some rule for if a player gets stuck between the blocks. We decided to add two rules.
5. You may not go backwards or diagonal.
6. If you get stuck between walls you lose a turn and get over the block in the next turn. You may only jump over one wall.
Game Session 2
We started with the game board at the end of Game Session 1 and Rules 1-6. I did a play session with my family and friends and they all agreed due to there being so many walls that I should add something to the game to make the game quicker. We then agreed to a new rule.
7. If you land on a blue space you get to roll again.
Game Session 3
We started with the board at the end of Game Session 2 and Rules 1-7. I did a play session again in class and this time we agreed that there needed to be something to slow the game down. We then added a new rule.
8. If you land on a red space you go straight back the number you roll after landing on the red space. If you run into a wall you hop over the wall.
The core mechanism of this game is the dice because the dice is the main part of the game. You need the dice in order to move.